Monday, June 13, 2011

A Place of My Own

I am finally going to write.  Hold me to that, will you?

I am starting this blog so that I will have a place that is truly mine, a place to spill out my thoughts and passions, my irritations and joys.  I have tried many times to do this in the past, but I think my goals were always too extreme.  It's not that I thought I was going to write the next great American novel on my blog or inspire the masses with my brilliant insight (yeah, right), but as usually happens in my life, those pesky perfectionist tendencies I've come to love and hate got in the way, and I allowed them to keep me from writing at all. 

Over the years I have started six blogs, and never achieved more than a few entries before my vision of what I wanted it to become became cloudy and unattainable.  Now, I have decided to make it easy on myself.  This blog will be, to put it simply, "a place of my own." Virginia Wolfe said every woman writer needed one, so I've made a present of it to myself.  I've simply named it after two things I love, and likewise I plan to write about things I love (recipes, books, movies, hobbies, who knows?).  I've decided to make no more pretenses in trying to come up with the "grand title" for my teeny spot in the blogosphere.  My goal is to write. And write I shall. 

Writing may truly be the one passion I have that scares me the most.  I dream about it, fantasize about it, read about ways to do it better, and never feel more alive than when I'm doing it.  My assumed imperfection of the finished work terrifies me, though.  For now, I will attempt to shove that fear into an ethereal satin, draw-string pouch in the back of my mind and write just for myself and for any of my friends or family who might find some small interest in my thoughts...and for now, I just need a place to exercise my love of writing and organize the many jumbled ideas that accumulate in my brain, looking for a place to lay down and find peace.

1 comment: