Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Shrimp and Pork Lo Mein

So, this is not exactly groundbreaking prose, but I wanted to post a favorite recipe that I originally posted on my short-lived cooking blog.  I guess I've had it on the brain lately since I absolutely love Lo Mein, but rarely get the opportunity to make it.  If you've seen this post before, I apologize.  I promise I'll write something original soon.

I love Asian food, and from time to time I will experiment with healthy, at-home Asian recipes of my own. This Lo Mein recipe works in any variation: seafood, pork, vegetable, chicken. My personal choice when I make it at home, however, is a combination of seafood and pork. I hope you like it!

Shrimp and Pork Lo Mein


Ingredients
1 package of Chinese noodles
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 thinly-sliced, boneless pork chops
3-4 green onions, tops only
2 carrots, diced fine
2 stalks celery, diced fine
1 (4 oz.) can of sliced mushrooms
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
Shrimp Sauce (I use the store-bought kind found near most grocery store seafood counters)


Directions
Cook noodles according to package directions. (They usually only need to boil for 3 or 4 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside. Slice pork chops in long, thin strips and saute in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside, leaving the remaining oil. Add the green onions, carrots and celery, sauteing until just tender. Add mushrooms last and heat through. Add shrimp and allow to cook until shrimp turns pink (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in the pork strips and add the Soy Sauce. Stir continuously for another 1-2 minutes. Finally, add the cooked noodles, allow to heat through, and serve with shrimp sauce.


Without a doubt, this is one of my favorite recipes. I associate it with comfort food, probably because of the noodles. If you've never cooked with Chinese noodles, give them a try. They're cheap, versatile, quick to cook and absolutely delicious! Aside from the shrimp sauce (which you can leave off, although I can't imagine why anyone would want to), this is a super healthy meal that cooks up in minutes. I hope you'll give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment